Mu Phi Epsilon welcomes new members based on their qualities of musicianship, high scholarship, character, and friendliness, and welcomes collegians who want to become part of a Fraternity with high ideals and a long history of service.
The more you give of yourself and your talent to Mu Phi Epsilon, the more it can mean to you.
Collegiate Candidate Eligibility Requirements
- By invitation, undergraduate students who are:
- Music majors or music minors, enrolled as candidates for a degree
- Attained second semester freshman standing or its equivalent
- Have a 3.0 music and 2.0 academic GPA
- Have completed first semester theory or completed an equivalent test
- Transfer students who meet the same requirements must be enrolled long enough to have established a GPA
- Graduate students who have been music majors or minors or have equivalent credit
- Music faculty members not affiliated with another professional music fraternity (Delta Omicron, Phi Beta, Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia or Sigma Alpha Iota)
In addition, collegiate members must meet chapter requirements of scholastic eligibility and demonstrate qualities of musicianship, high scholarship, character, and friendliness.
Joining an Alumni Chapter
Alumni members may choose one of two ways to remain affiliated with Mu Phi Epsilon
- Pay dues directly to the fraternity as an allied member, or
- Affiliate through an alumni chapter.
To affiliate through an alumni chapter, check the list of active alumni chapters to see if there is one in your area and contact the chapter. If you need help in finding a nearby alumni chapter, contact email@example.com.
Top 10 Reasons to Become a Member
It is an honor to be invited to join, because membership eligibility is based on GPA and other standards of scholarship as well as musicianship.
Listing membership in Mu Phi Epsilon enhances one’s resume.
Membership offers a particular kind of friendship, often lifelong, with others who are also passionate about excellent music.
Membership offers opportunities to play in chapter recitals, be in chapter ensembles, and to participate in other musical activities.
Music events sponsored by chapters can offer soloist opportunities.
The Fraternity is a nonprofit corporation operated by elected officers under official bylaws, at both chapter and International levels; therefore membership offers opportunities and lessons in leadership and parliamentary procedure.
Mu Phi Epsilon is one of the largest professional music fraternities in the country.
Mu Phi Epsilon has functioned continuously since 1903, having an impact on the lives and careers of countless musicians. Many members have achieved prominence and fame in the U.S. and abroad, often through their association with the Fraternity.
Every three years, the Fraternity holds an International Convention that any member can attend for networking, learning, and music. Each convention is sponsored by one or more Provinces, and members from those provinces have particular opportunity to attend as official Music Delegates and other performers.
Scholarships and awards are offered on local and international levels to both collegiate and affiliated alumni members in good standing. Being a member of Mu Phi Epsilon is a lifelong opportunity.
Interested in joining? Find out if your college has a chapter.