During the very first month, Mu Phi Epsilon began to expand with the installation of Beta Chapter, at the New England Conservatory in Boston, Massachusetts, on December 13, 1903. Within the first year, Gamma Chapter at the University of Michigan School of Music in Ann Arbor, Michigan was installed on May 20, 1904.
With the installation of Alpha Tau Chapter on November 13, 1962, at the Philippine Women’s University in Manila, Philippine Islands, Mu Phi Epsilon became international.
Today Mu Phi Epsilon has 128 collegiate chapters, 74 alumni chapters and more than 75,000 members.
The Sorority changed status from the originally chartered National Music sorority to function as an Honor Society in 1935. In 1944, it changed again to function as a Professional Music Sorority, after definitions of general, honor and professional sororities were formulated and accepted by the National Conference on College Fraternities and Societies.
Mu Phi Epsilon became a co-educational Professional Music Fraternity in 1977 in compliance with federal regulations of Title IX of the Education Amendments Act of 1972.